The Placement YearFor each student on the Tonmeister programme the third year of registration is normally a Professional Training Year (PTY), during which they will be working for an employer in the audio industry. The PTY scheme has advantages for employers and for students...
For EmployersThis leaflet explains the gist of the placement scheme, gives some examples of how it might help you as an employer, and mentions a few of the other employers who use it: TonmeisterPlacements.pdf
Employers who have registered their intention to offer a placement this year can view shortlists of candidates plus CVs on our Members Only Website.For further information please contact the Tonmeister Senior Professional Training Tutor Caroline Haigh
For StudentsThe placement year forms an important part of your education and aims to develop your professional, practical, interpersonal, organisational, and creative &/or technical skills, and to allow you to apply some of the theory that you have learned in the first two years of the programme. Full placement scheme details for current students are available in the programme handbooks and module descriptions but, as a taster, here (in no particular order) is what some of the students on placement in 2019/20 thought were the 5 'coolest' (i.e. most useful, interesting, remarkable, exciting, impressive, enjoyable, etc.) things about their placements...
Alex : Martin Audio : Junior Loudspeaker Development Engineer
- Performed acoustic research that resulted in a paper being published at an academic conference.
- Learned skills that will be vital for me in my final year, especially for tech project.
- Designed loudspeakers that are now being used all over the world.
- Made the most of the socialising opportunities I was afforded through working regular hours.
- Gained a valuable insight into the professional audio industry.
Jake : Bang and Olufsen : Research Intern
- Made our new CEO wear VR goggles and try my VR/Spatial audio demo.
- Went for a swim in the 2°C Danish sea in Struer (Denmark is amazing).
- Considered a key part of the A&R team, contributed to the development of ANC in released products (H95) and sound quality (A1 2nd Gen/Balance).
- Living in the middle of nowhere is a curse (empty) and a blessing (freedom, peace and quiet, no corona).
- Learned amazing inside stories and knowledge from incredible people, at one of the longest running high quality brands in the world.
Joel : Audient Ltd : Technical Support Agent
- 9-5 job near Guildford
- Lots of experiences with electronics and soldering
- Visited a number of studios across the UK
- Helped construct a number of consoles
- Involved in the design and testing of a new product range called EVO
Matt : Martin Audio Ltd : Undergraduate Work Placement
- Designed crossover of an award-winning loudspeaker
- Designed an Ambisonics microphone
- Learnt how to code in Python
- Listened to lots of amazing (and loud) loudspeakers
- Drank a lot of coffee
Luke : Ben Holland Sound Ltd. : Sound Assistant
- Worked on shiny floor shows like A League of Their Own and Harry Hill's Clubnite
- Worked on OBs for sports such as the swimming and the boxing as a sound assistant
- Designed and install Dolby Atmos dub suite
- Developed dubbing skills and mix shows for TV
- Developed technical skills across many areas in broadcast
Oscar : North Seven Studios/Gearbox Records : Studio Assistant
- Assisted in the mastering process to both vinyl and digital for many releases with Gearbox Records.
- Worked as an assistant engineer at external sessions in RAK Studios and Konk Studios with Gearbox Records.
- Engineered and assisted on a variety of pop, film and TV sessions at N7.
- Mixed a selection of music for a BBC program at N7.
- Was able to engineer, edit, mix and master my own music using the facilities when they were available.
Nelson : Sky : Audio Assistant / Junior Dubbing Mixer
- Mixed four episodes of a show airing on Sky One
- Dialogue edited an episode of Portrait Artist of the Year
- Took part in the dialogue edit for an episode of the drama Urban Myths
- Co-designed the audio department’s podcast record structure in Pro Tools
- Assisted in the mix of the first commissioned Dobly ATMOS series of Portrait Artist of the Year
Rebecca : AIR Studios : Runner
- Worked on some of the biggest films of the year.
- Made eye contact with Taylor Swift.
- Met some fantastic engineers, composers and musicians.
- Saw footage of Judi Dench in a onesie with bobbles on.
- Only ever paid for 2 drinks at the pub the whole year.
Ronan : Dolby : CSG Support Engineer/Transfer Bay Engineer
- Had fun at Abbey Road for a couple days. Met Ed Denholm!
- Got to listen to an Atmos Drum N Bass album in the cinema for Hospital Records.
- Sat in on the Gadget Show being filmed at work. Met the hosts.
- Got to watch all the biggest movies of the year for free and was often paid to watch them.
- Didn't have to make tea and coffee. Got tea and coffee made for me at other studios.
Justin : Guildhall School of Music & Drama : Recording & AV Technician
- Fun team headed by Jules, who has worked with Prince, Robert Glasper, Norah Jones
- Out-of-office team day: did an escape room, played darts, and sang karaoke
- Sole engineer for most recordings
- GSMD's xmas concert: the entire orchestra/jazz ensemble was fabulous
- Learned to work really fast due to the sheer volume of recordings
Will : BBC Scottish Symphony Orchestra : Audio Trainee
- Rigged mics for various Edinburgh International Festival concerts broadcast live on BBC Radio 3
- Edited a commercial session of rare Beethoven pieces with a producer
- Was involved with recording programmes at the Royal Albert Hall for the BBC Proms
- Mixed a live radio show on BBC Radio Scotland from start to finish
- Engineered and balanced an orchestral concert in Edinburgh’s Usher Hall which was broadcast on BBC Radio 3
Ben : ICP Studios : Assistant Engineer
- Worked with a band I loved for 3 months
- Whistled on a track that became a French car advert
- Barely had to make tea for anyone
- Learnt a new language
- Watched loads of films with Joel
Alex : Chandos Records Ltd : Music Editor and Assistant Engineer
- Met and worked with Tasmin Little, OBE, on her final chamber disc.
- Recorded some of the best orchestras in the UK including LSO and Sinfonia of London.
- Learnt about and experimented with some crazy surround sound recording techniques.
- Edited and mixed a full double disc opera, unheard and unperformed since its premiere in 1977, with overdubbed sound effects in surround sound.
- Gained 32 professional credits on official classical albums.
Charlie : BMP Recording : Audio Editor and Assistant Recording Engineer
- Edited nearly 30 CDs for an assortment of labels and artists
- Assisted recording of a choir in a stunning Irish cathedral
- Met and had a lovely conversation with harpsichordist Davitt Moroney
- Had an album that I edited get a 4-star review in BBC Music
- Ate my body weight in curry
Callum : BBC Radio and Music Operations: Technical Producer
- Edited complex programmes for BBC Radio 3 which were listened to by thousands of people
- Mixed live radio shows for BBC Radio 3
- Saw behind the scenes of some top London venues and concert halls including the Royal Albert Hall
- Worked with some of the worlds greatest musicians and orchestras
- Barely made any cups of tea at all
Jack : Aquarium Studios : Audio Assistant
- Featured in the credits of 8 feature films.
- Worked with several high profile celebrities.
- Recorded all Foley for a documentary.
- Acted as dialogue and FX editor for a new TV show pilot.
- Prepped all sessions recording commentary for FIFA.
Dom : Real World Studios : Studio Assistant
- Became friends with Parquet Courts and worked on their new album
- Received hugs from Loyle Carner
- Assisted producer John Parish for a week
- Recorded a gig at the Jazz Cafe for the Real World Records label
- Engineered drums for Femi from Ezra Collective
Joel : ICP Recording Studios : Assistant Sound Engineer
- Engineered an impromptu jam session between Paolo Nutini and his producers that turned into a full song by the end of the night.
- Went pony-riding with two members of Wolf Alice.
- Worked with 3x Grammy winning producer Markus Dravs for three months.
- Mixed three songs for French artist Rover and was invited back to mix the rest of the album.
- Lived in Brussels for a year and visited multiple European cities.
Edward : Abbey Road Studios : Studio Runner
- Saw my name roll up at the end of a film
- Worked with many of my all time favourite artists
- Perfected tea (including Earl Grey and peppermint) and now working towards mastering coffee too
- One time Jon Bon Jovi took his top off in front of me, then proceeded to introduce me to Prince Harry
- Got to listen to music all day
Mark : Monnow Valley Studio : Studio Assistant
- Had a few whiskies with Robert Plant and Andrew Scheps.
- Helped record Welsh royalty - Sir Tom Jones.
- Engineered a professional session while teaching a group of college students.
- Given free VIP passes (and time off) to see Devin Townsend perform in Cardiff.
- Hiking and climbing in the beautiful Welsh countryside.
Josh : Plus 4 Audio : Trainee Sound Engineer
- Worked at The Royal Variety Show and managed the IEM packs for the artists.
- Enjoyed many socials including DiGiCo Christmas Quiz.
- Worked on "End of the Yah Quiz - Made In Chelsea" as only staff from Plus4.
- Learnt from the best engineers on shows like Strictly Come Dancing, Mercury Awards and Saturday Night Takeaway.
- Worked with an amazing team who were invested in your development as a Sound Engineer.
Matt : DiGiCo : Product Test Engineer
- Helped to test a product that was released at NAMM and widely regarded as DiGiCo's best product released in years
- Wrote some Python scripts that made some of the testing I did much faster, and will hopefully be useful to the company in the future
- Got a year's worth of experience using industry standard live sound consoles
- Saw through the successful release of a console software update during lockdown when I was the only one with access to the console that needed testing for the update
- Had a play around with the desk that Eric Clapton had toured with for the past 10 years
Matthew : Pinewood Studios Group : Trainee Sound Editor
- Got to work on a large number of high-profile cinematic releases, meaning that millions of people have listened to my editorial work
- Was surrounded on a daily basis by some of the best post-production professionals in the world
- Got to meet a variety of my audio heroes, including Matt Wood, Michael Semanick and David Fluhr, who spent an endless amount of time answering my questions and giving advice
- Had my own personal edit suite with a 7.1 surround system in it!
- GOT TO WORK ON STAR WARS!!!
Tatjana : Sky : Audio Assistant/Junior Dubbing Mixer
- Received numerous TV credits on Sky One, Sky Arts and Sky Sports.
- Edited and mixed 3 episodes of a Sky One show.
- Dialogue and Foley edited for Sky One dramas.
- Recorded/edited/mixed podcasts with high-profile sports personnel e.g. Jamie Carragher and Harry Redknapp.
- Tested new software before use by the team.
Massimo : ROLI : Junior QA Engineer
- Arrangements featured in LUMI music app.
- Squidged some Seaboards.
- Free food!
- Office Dog
- Met Jordan Rudess without having to make tea.
Tom : Eastcote Studios : Studio Assistant and Runner
- Assisted on many high-profile sessions.
- Only dropped one microphone all year.
- Used the studio to write and record my own music.
- Performed Bass and Keys on professional recording sessions.
- A Yorkshirewoman praised my tea making.
Tom : Floating Earth Ltd : Assistant Recording Engineer, Editor, Mastering Engineer
- Travelled around the country making recordings in concert halls, studios, churches, stadiums, and warehouses
- Worked as an assistant engineer on recording sessions, live concert recordings, and outside broadcasts for TV
- Worked on recordings with many of the best orchestras in the country
- Followed projects for Signum Records through from start to finish - from the recording sessions through to an album's release
- Spent lots of time inside Floating Earth's OB audio truck
Tom : The Dairy Ltd. : Studio Assistant/ Engineer
- Recorded House Gospel Choir, Guy Garvey, Levi Roots and many more
- Ran the entire recording studio on my own for a week
- Co-wrote, produced, recorded and mixed an entire song for someone
- Drank lots of red wine with some lovely people
- Have guaranteed tickets to see Radiohead when they next play with Guy Garvey
Tom : Guildhall School of Music and Drama : Recording and AV Engineer
- Mixed and directed the broadcast of the UK's first real-time, socially distanced symphony orchestra across 5 rooms and two buildings.
- Solo engineered numerous studio sessions of orchestras, big bands and smaller ensembles straight to stereo.
- Mixed a broadcast of a jazz orchestra to a livestream audience of 50,000 viewers.
- Directed a multicamera broadcast from the Barbican Hall.
- Got paid a decent salary and overtime while still having healthy a work-life balance.
Charlie : Hoare Lea : Acoustics Engineer
- Tested a ground running enclosure with a Boeing 767 aircraft at Cambridge Airport.
- Produced auralisations in ODEON and designed a building acoustics demonstration app.
- Gained insight into interesting developments before the public such as Samsung KX.
- Attended acoustic seminars and learned about interesting developments in acoustics from people such as Michael Whitcroft who designed Birmingham conservatoire's concert hall.
- Made the most of the social benefits afforded by working regular hours and having disposable income.